Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The Next Day


I've read this morning that the fire at Notre Dame was apparently sparked accidentally but that an investigation is underway to determine the cause. I did hear that the roof is a total loss. But that at least one of the rose windows was survived. Apparently the organ was also saved from destruction along with many other precious works of art. The stone walls and the flying buttresses also appear intact. The iconic bell towers also survived the fire.

Despite the massive losses, Notre Dame has managed to survive and hopefully will be able to be salvaged to some degree. Looking through my photos, taken last September, I am now haunted by the fact that much of the Cathedral is lost forever. I will never look at those videos and pictures in the same way. It was such a spectacular place. Even in its burned and bruised state today, it is a place of wonder and glory.