Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Another Go at Leopold Bloom

So I've tried to read James Joyce's Ulysses several times. I like to read (a lot) and this book has been my white whale (sorry for the obvious mixing of metaphors). I think the farthest I've made it in this book is around page 40 or so before declaring the whole thing nonsense and throwing the book aside for another five years before trying again. Each time I think to myself that maybe I'm ready this time. Maybe I've evolved intellectually enough that I'll make it through. Nope.

Part of the problem is I'm not motivated enough to use the study aids available that help explain each and every sentence of the book. It's just not worth that much to me to do that much work for this particular work. I might do that for Shakespeare, but not Joyce. I know, I know...James Joyce fans are saying I'm short-changing myself.  

But I'm going to attempt this literary Odyssey (ha!) again. I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess. This time I've got a plan. I'm only going to read two pages a day. That's right. Two pages a day. I might go further if I find a particular section compelling. But otherwise, I'm limiting myself to just two pages a day. I'm sure I risk ruining the flow and rhythm of the narrative...but nothing else has worked for me so far.

Reading two pages a day will be less than a five minute daily commitment. I can handle that. If all goes according to plan, I should be done with Ulysses in 384 days...give or take. I should be done around April 28, 2020. I do plan on reading short chapter summaries to help me along.

I started two days ago and am already ahead of my goal! I'm already on page 12. Yes, I found it easier to go past two pages in a day when there wasn't the pressure of trying to solely focus on this behemoth of a book. I can read other books I find more compelling while I'm also tackling a day in the life of Leopold Bloom for just a few minutes a day.

Ah, how we start big projects with such enthusiasm. I'll keep you apprised of my progress. There's a super good chance this plan will crash and burn like my other attempts. I'll look at my two-page-a-day plan and laugh at how quaint an idea it was. So naive I was back in April 2019, I'll think.

Maybe not. I'll let you know.