Monday, April 15, 2019

Notre Dame is Burning


I am beyond horrified to see the images of the fire at the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. So utterly shocking and depressing. I certainly hope that the cause of the fire is not a deliberate act of terrorism or arson.

My wife and I were just there seven months ago so now I feel an even more personal connection to this iconic structure. We purchased a copy of Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame at the Cathedral's Gift Shop. I am currently reading a history of the Shakespeare and Company Bookstore located directly across the river from Notre Dame. We have a strong sentimental attachment to Notre Dame.

Visiting Notre Dame was a highlight of our trip to Paris. It is staggering in its beauty and scale. I feel blessed that I got to walk up the over 300 stairs to the top of the bell tower and see the amazing steeple that's now gone.

I hope beyond hope they are able to contain the fire and that somehow most of the structure can be somewhat salvaged. What a horrible tragedy.