Thursday, April 25, 2019

Clarifications on Ulysses


This is why you need to refer to study aids when tackling Ulysses. Apparently, James Joyce did not mark his chapters or episodes in his book. The only numbered delineations are three main sections (or "books"). So what I finished yesterday was not an episode but the first major section.

I discovered this by reading up on the book online. I found some handy guides that even gave the page numbers where new episodes began. You can tell where they start because there is often a paragraph break at the end of an episode. The next episode's first sentence is typed in ALL CAPS (at least in my edition).

The episodes correspond generally with the story of Homer's Odyssey on which Joyce loosely based the structure of the book. I went ahead and post-noted where each of the eighteen episodes began for easy reference. I like to know how much longer I have to read in a section. Gives me an idea of where my next destination is.

So I can see why so many people have been intrigued by this book. It's not just about the read. Joyce once said that he had "put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant." He's right. There's the narrative, then there's the puzzle. Fascinating stuff.

So the good news is that I'm farther along episodically than I realized. I'm now on episode four when I thought I had just finished one. Even though I'm on the same page number I still feel like I've accomplished more knowing I only have 15 episodes left. Funny how our mind plays tricks on us. I'm thinking that was part of Joyce's intention...to show how our mind plays tricks on us.