Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Oscars

I wasn't planning on watching the Oscars. But Sunday night I was suffering from severe nausea from something I ate earlier in the day at a church potluck. So I doubled over on the easy chair and watched the Academy Awards between swigs of Pepto Bismol. I like Jon Stewart so I thought it would be interesting to see him host.

I am relieved that people voted for what they thought was the best picture and not the movie with the most hype or trendiest message. I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain or Crash. But I'm sure there was a lot of peer pressure to go with the gay cowboys. I'm glad people voted authentically.

Anyway, one of my favorite movies, 'The Constant Gardner,' won some nice awards including best supporting actress for Rachel Weisz. I was disappointed to see that 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou' wasn't nominated for anything. Saw that this weekend. Supercool flick. And sure, 'Revenge of the Sith' wasn't a classic...but surely it deserved more than one nomination in the technical categories. It wasn't even nominated for special effects!

But the whole Oscar thing just seems like another opportunity for the popular and beautiful people to pat themselves on the back. Sometimes the doses of self-importance can be a bit much. After all...they're just movies. Right?