Friday, March 17, 2006

Colin Powell for Baseball Commissioner!

I am fed up with Major League Baseball. It used to be my favorite sport. I played it (little league), watched it, and memorized meaningless stats like OBP facing left handers on artificial surfaces played on odd numbered days of the week. I still have all seven games of the 1985 World Series on VHS tape. The Royals winning the Series is still one of the most memorable events in my life. One of my most valued possessions is a 1985 World Series ball signed by George Brett.

Baseball has gone down hill ever since. The first blow was the 1994 strike. The Royals were in first place at the time with 1994 Cy Young Winner David Cone leading the way. Then the season was over. I still remember being in Bracken Dorm Room 201 watching the news with my roomate Bill Kinnamon when they announced that the World Series had been cancelled. We were stunned.

I still rooted for the Big Blue but soon it became apparent that the rules of the game had changed. Economic disparity gave very little opportunity for the small markets to compete. Then came a series of changes that destroyed baseball in my opinion. Bart Giamatti died, Fay Vincent is forced out and the owners elect a stooge as commissioner of baseball. I wouldn't elect Bud Selig as city trash collector.

My interest was slightly re-kindled during the great 1998 home-run chase. But even then my Dad was telling me that it was obvious McGwire was using steroids and the records were meaningless. He has since been proven right. Now we have Barry Bonds about to break Ruth's record. I always tried to like Bonds. But he has shown himself to be an arrogant, self-centered cheater.

They say baseball is more popular than ever. That assessment seems suspect to me. Television ratings are at an all-time low. Some of the biggest stars made fools of themselves in front of Congress. No one buys anything they're saying. Ratings will continue to tank as the integrity of the game is flushed down the toilet. Where is Kennesaw Mountain Landis when you need him?

In an upcoming post I will give my humble opinion of how to get at least one formerly passionate fan back in the stadium seats.