Friday, March 24, 2006

If you want to ski...

My students are all talking about their Spring Break ski trips. Which really has me hankering for the slopes. But we only take one trip a year. Skiing is one of the funnest things in the world. People always ask, "why would you want to risk your neck by careening into a tree in sub-zero temperatures?" The are a multitude of reasons of course...but here are the two main reasons...

1.) The setting. Being up in the mountains makes the real world wash away. The whole deal, from the condo to the slopes, puts you in a whole new world of experience. Escapism at its best.
2.) The exhiliration. There's nothing like gliding down a mountain on skis. It feels like you're floating. Conquering fears and raising (then meeting) your expecations is a rush.

My advice to anyone thinking about skiing for the first time is...

1.) Wear the right gear. I borrowed a lot of gear on my first trip just in case I wouldn't like skiing. Every year I've added another component whether its gloves, bibs, jacket, etc.. The right gear will keep you warm. In fact, I'm rarely cold on the slopes...even if it's below zero. Wear the right stuff. And get a hydration pack...water makes a huge difference.

2.) Take Lessons. This is a must if you want to avoid the Texas Downhill (going straight down outta control with no turns). Don't listen to your "expert" friend. Take at least a half-day lesson from a pro at the resort. It's money well spent. They will show you all these little tricks and techniques that makes things enormously easier. Things that might take you years to figure out on your own...like how to get on and off a lift without crashing. Your trip will me so much more enjoyable if you take lessons and learn to do it right.

3.) Go at your own pace. When learning...take things at a pace you're comfortable with. Don't let peer pressure force you to go on that mogul run when you're not ready for it. The first day after a lesson you may want to ski by yourself.

4.) Set goals. Set concrete goals so you can keep raising your game. For instance, make a goal to actually ski over that one hill you see over and over again instead of going around it. Make a goal to move from the wedge to parallel in a certain amount of time. Set goals and meet them.

5.) Get in the right mindset. Skiing is 90% mental. Embrace the fear. Don't be afraid to fall. Bode Miller falls more often than not. Laugh when you do pull a yard sale with your gear all strewn about. Take a deep breath on that big rise overlooking a gnarly run and say "This mountain is mine!"

6.) Get in shape. Coming down a bowl in Durango on my first adult ski trip I almost died because my thighs felt like they were on fire. The next year I worked out by riding a stationary bike every day. The difference was huge. I could ski longer and I had a lot more fun.

Skiing has made me more goal oriented and has helped me get back in shape. It's been great mentally and physically for me. I feel I take on anything. Get out there!