Saturday, January 21, 2023

Travels in Alaska

 


Travels in Alaska by John Muir. My latest breakfast reading. I didn’t enjoy this as much as his book on his first summer in the Sierras. 

There were passages that were fantastic in their descriptive powers. And some of his adventures were truly terrifying. When there was a narrative it was interesting to follow but I honestly got worn out on the many many many descriptions of glaciers. After awhile I found them tiresome. 

Maybe if I was a naturalist and into glaciology I would have found it more captivating. Even though Muir does an admirable job in his writing of them, a glacier is meant to be looked at in person. 

So a bit uneven for me. Moments of wonder and then moments of tedium. But not bad overall. There’s enough good there to make a worthy read.