Thursday, January 26, 2023

Spaces

These are four photos I have taped to the lattice divider in front of my desk. They are spaces that inspire me in different ways. 

The top two photos are from The Interval in San Francisco. I got to visit there this past summer and it's a really cool tea, coffeeshop, bar that also serves as a salon space for the Long Now Foundation. It's a clean, sharp looking place that fosters innovative thinking about the future.

The bottom left is Shakespeare and Company bookshop in Paris. I visited there back in 2018 and loved all the books everywhere. Winding aisles and little nooks, S&C is a cool place to hang out. I should also put up a photo of its sister store City Lights in San Francisco. 

The bottom right came from a magazine article about Kim Stanley Robinson. He works entirely outside when he writes his novels. Rain or shine, hot or cold, he's out there writing under an old tarp and beat up chair. This reminds me that great art does not necessarily require extravagant surroundings.