Sunday, January 15, 2023

Live

 


So I’ve been working through the Wynton Marsalis discography since the beginning of the new year. Despite being a Marsalis fan for almost forty years there’s much I haven’t heard. His musical output is prolific. And back in the old days it was just too expensive to buy every album. 

So one of the major advantages of modern day streaming is you can listen to pretty much anything a major artist released. Working through specific discographies of my favorite artists  has been a major joy of mine lately. 

And now I finally get to go through the entire box set of The Wynton Marsalis Septet’s appearance at the Village Vanguard in the early 90’s. I had a CD of highlights from this set but had never gone through the entire weeklong set. The box set originally consisted of seven CD’s covering one night’s worth each of material of their week long performances at the legendary New York night club. 

And man, it is greatness. So much genius and spontaneity. So much fire and creativity. The box set was always cost prohibitive. I just wasn’t willing to shell out a lot of cash when I was just starting out in the workforce back when it was released. So I am completely into this set. Not finished yet, about halfway through. But it is greatness.