Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Acquiring Beauty

I find it fascinating how certain appreciations do not reveal themselves at first glance. There is a beauty that must reveal itself one layer at a time. The time of its revealing may depend on many factors such as your current frame of mind, your recent and past experiences, your current station in life and your overall evolution as a thinking human being.

There have been many instances where I did not appreciate some work of art the first time I approached it. Often I have discovered new meanings in familiar objects. I did not appreciate John Coltrane's "Naima" until one day it enveloped me in epiphanies of new understanding. The same was true for Albert Camus' "The Rebel" and "Spirit" by Willie Nelson, the works of Miro and a host of other works of art.

A tree appears differently in morning than it does at night, or in winter than summer or in rain than drought. The point is to keep looking at the tree to gain new and different appreciations.