Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Freakonomic Snowboarding

One time Kim, her parents and I were traveling up a mountain gondola in Keystone, Colorado with a snowboarder who was riding along from the single line to fill out our five person gondola car. He looked the typical teenage shredder and was plugged in with the ubiqitous white iPod headphones. My father-in-law Tom engaged him in small talk by asking what music he was listening to. The boarder pulled out his plugs and said he was actually listening to a podcast of a book on tape...Freakonomics (which I'm reading at the time of this blog by the way). Talk about image busting...shouldn't judge a man by their outward gear. You'd expect a rider to be listening to hardcore punk/hop ski music. Instead he was listening to a New York Times bestseller about the impact of economics on society's decision making.

Anyway I put together a playlist last week of good ski music if I ever wanted to iPod down the mountain. I prefer to stay plug free on the mountain so I can enjoy the sounds of the mountain and actually talk with those I'm skiing with. But if I need some musical encouragement here's my initial ski playlist...


Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters
I'll Stick Around - Foo Fighters
Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
E-Pro - Beck
Song 2 - Blur
Girlfriend - Matthew Sweet
Crackity Jones - The Pixies
Debaser - The Pixies
Hash Pipe - Weezer
Don't Let Go - Weezer
Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
The Saint - Orbital
Revolution - The Beatles
Live and Let Die - Guns 'n Roses
Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet
Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz
Vertigo - U2
Pistolero - Juno Reactor
El Matador - Los Fabulosos Cadillacs