Sunday, March 04, 2007

Chalk it up!

One of the important debates of our time revolves around an issue of singular importance...Chalk or Dry Erase Marker?

I have to admit...I'm a chalk guy. Despite my proclivity for technological innovation I prefer the old stick of chalk to the dry erase marker. Yes, the dry erase marker allows you to write in different colors (although you can get different colors of chalk). However, you always have to worry about popping the cap on and off. They also have to be replaced often. Plus my handwriting suffers with the dry erase marker because of the lack of traction on the board. Also, your hands become marked up in red, blue, green and all the colors of the dry erase rainbow by the end of the day.

The greatest gripe against chalk used to be the chalk dust. But the new dustless chalk is quite good at keeping things dust free. I rarely have to worry about the chalk getting on my clothes and never have to worry about it marking my hands. I can just pick it up and start writing without having to think about where to put the cap and making sure to put the cap back on when finished. Plus chalk gives me a traction on the board that makes using it much easier...much less slippage.

So I have resisted the urge to replace my chalkboards with white dry-erase boards. I used dry-erase markers for a whole year at Highland Park so I think I gave them a fair shot. In one of the great intellectual discourses of our time I think I have to kick it old school and side with the chalk...as long as its dustless of course.

I also may be unduly swayed by that scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Professor Jones is in the classroom writing the word "neolithic" in chalk...not dry erase marker (didn't exist in 1933). He wrote the word in chalk and in all caps and I think of that scene everytime I write neolithic on the board at the beginning of the school year.