Thursday, January 29, 2009

Flush Rush.

I hate to admit this...but there was a time when I actually listened to Rush Limbaugh. I read his first two books. I watched his TV show occasionally. He was funny and well spoken. Didn't agree with him sometimes...but he was entertaining and often made valid criticisms of the Clinton administration. Of course I was in high school at the time and thought Vanilla Ice could rap. Yes, there's a lot I wish I could forget.

But something happened to Rush. Maybe his influence and money went to his head. He became more shrill. His schtick became more hateful. He betrayed his own party...not with valid and needed criticism...but with innuendo and gossip whenever the party didn't kowtow to his large (and getting larger) shadow.

He became a hypocrite...buying pharmaceuticals illegally while ranting about law and order and "druggies" on his program. His logical arguments morphed into vehemence. As my students would say...he became a hater. He singlehandedly tried to destroy John McCain's candidacy.

Even fellow conservative Bill Bennett (aka, The Gambler) has taken him to task over wishing Obama would fail. It's a lot like that pastor who recently said he will not under any circumstances pray for Obama. I guess that's better than the scores of people out there pretending to pray for Obama.

Well Rush has gone too far. There's even a petition out there stating their opposition to Limbaugh. Unfortunately that only keeps his name in the news longer than it needs to be. Too bad he just can't wither away.