Friday, April 14, 2006

Why does anyone watch Dateline?

First: Anyone can now post comments onto my blog. You longer have to register. I do reserve the right to read all comments before posting them. This perusal is only to keep things "appropriate." Yes, dissenting opinion is fine by me. Teachers are Jedi Masters...not fascists.

Second: Why does anyone still watch Dateline NBC. This newsmagazine has been a joke since its inception. Anyone remember the scandal involving Dateline producers rigging trucks to explode on impact so they could film a good story? Well Dateline is at it again...rigging a pedophile sting in order to garner ratings. Now, I'm glad that pedophiles went to jail...but journalists are not supposed to manufacture the story...they are simply to report the story. If these "journalists" fuzz the ethical line in this case what keeps them from doing the same thing in another situation? Dateline is also taking Muslims to NASCAR races to film the good-ole boy's reactions. This is journalism? More like urinalism. The Peacock Network should know better.

I guess my opinion about journalism is naive, idealistic and old fashioned. But Dateline NBC is a ludicrous example of news reporting and I can't believe anyone still buys what they're selling. Fool me once...but twice, how about three times? Ridiculous.