Sunday, April 09, 2006

CD of the Week - Mood Swing

One of the great tenor saxophonists of our time is Joshua Redman. He first hit it big in the early nineties. I saw him in concert at the North Texas Jazz Festival and was blown away by his quartet. After the outdoor concert was over I was standing beside the stage waiting for Kimberly to throw something away in a nearby trash can when all the sudden here comes Joshua Redman walking straight toward me with a state trooper in tow. I froze. I didn't have a pen or paper for an autograph and had no idea what to say. As he came up to me all I could think to say was "you the man Joshua." He said "thanks man," and walked straight into his waiting limo. "You the man Joshua?" That's all I could think to say? Idiot. I had frozen up. Anyway, just another brush with greatness that went awry.

Anyway, he's gone a bit funk/hip hop lately but he's still a great jazz player. My favorite album of his is 1994's Mood Swing. It's a jazz concept album that goes through the different emotions one feels in certain situations. It's straight ahead jazz that really swings.

By the way, I just read that Redman will be at this year's Denton Jazz and Art Festival (free admission) April 28th. If you're interested...e-mail me. My address is on the contact page. I'll see what Kim and I are doing.