Tuesday, February 26, 2019

schism



A few years ago we became members of the Methodist church. This wasn't a huge stretch for us since the denomination I grew up in was a part of the Wesleyan tribe. I have a family heritage in the Methodist Church that stretches back to at least the 19th century.

So today I'm sad about the realities of the Special General Conference of the United Methodist Church in St. Louis.

It seems that no matter what happens today, a great and historic denomination will experience schism. It doesn't seem possible that the UMC will be able to remain intact. I don't think anyone really knows the form the schism will take. I assume it will be chaotic and messy. Pensions, property and jobs will be effected. Feelings will be shattered. This will be a traumatic break for thousands of people.

Many will leave no matter what is decided in committees and plenary sessions. Individual congregations will have to make difficult choices. Individuals in congregations will have challenging decisions to weigh.

We should never place our faith in human institutions. Human institutions will always disappoint one way or the other. And sometimes, many times, our loyalty to institutions blind us to the original mission of the institution.

And yet, I grieve the fracturing of the United Methodist Church.

I have no idea what the future of Methodism looks like.

John Wesley was always wary of denominationalism. He never officially broke away from the Anglican Church. He thought of Methodism not as an institution but as a movement.

The United Methodist Church as a denomination has been facing an institutional reckoning for decades. I have great hope that the movement will continue regardless of the arguments within the bureaucratic structures of humans.

I know all of this on an intellectual level. But I still find myself saddened by this.

But no matter what, I will do my best to love my neighbor as Christ loved me.