Monday, September 27, 2010

Red River Karma

I love this week of the year. OU-texas week. As I watched the shortcows get bruised by the Bruins I had mixed emotions (like watching Sarah Palin going over a cliff in your new Ferrari). I'm supposed to hope ut goes undefeated going into the Red River Shootout (the name change to rivalry is so lame) in order to create more interest in the game and hopefully help OU's title hopes in defeating a highly ranked opponent.

But I can never root for texas...even if it's in the supposed best interest of OU. Rooting for your most hated rival comes back to haunt you in dangerous ways (Siddhartha Gautama would have called it bad karma). For example...in 2008...OU lost to texas (bad calls by the refs)...ut lost to Texas Tech. ut fans began to openly root for OU to beat Tech thinking that would help their title chances. I warned my shortcow friends that they were playing with mystic fire. You should never root for your rival...no matter what.

Sure enough...OU doesn't just beat Tech...they smash them completely. The victory was so impressive OU bypassed ut in the polls and got to play in the National Title game.

So yeah, I'm happy ut got smashed by UCLA. texas needs to quit scheduling the Bruins...especially for home games.

Note: Check out the Kansas City Chiefs. 3-0! Who woulda thunk? The playoffs may not be so ridiculous to think about. I know they still have a long way to go and others have had great starts and missed the playoffs (last year's Broncos)...but I'm enjoying the ride as long as I can.