Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Me and My Pumas

So I was attending the UIL Superconference at Tyler Junior College in beautiful Tyler, Texas last week. The campus is lined with these massive trees with twisting branches. I wish I could tell you what kind of trees they were but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to botany. They look like some kind of live oak or post oak.

Anyway, I was walking through the campus when I find my way blocked by a tribe of high school UIL participants from another school. It had been raining so I didn't want to circumvent this crowd by walking on the grass. So I simply said "excuse me" and they apologized and made a path for me.

As I passed them I heard a girl say "I like your shoes." I assumed they were referring to someone else so I kept walking. She, however, was insistent that I know that she liked my footwear and said louder, "I said I like your shoes!" The shoes I was wearing are awfully cool...black puma sneakers with a white stripe. I turned around and acknowledged the compliment with a brief thanks and kept walking. Right then, one of my students saw me walking from the opposite path and shouted "Mr. White!" in order to get my attention.

I heard someone behind me in my shoe complimenting crowd say "dude, he's a teacher!"

Yep, that's right...I, at age 37, was mistaken for a student...I'm assuming they thought I was a college student. I guess hipness never ages...

yawn.