Saturday, April 15, 2023

A Year in Paris


 A Year in Paris by John Baxter

This is the second work I’ve read by Baxter. I first encountered him on the Shakespeare and Company Podcast. He was a fascinating conversationalist so I checked out his The Most Beautiful Walk in the World: A Pedestrians Guide to Paris. His writings were very engrossing so I bought a few of his other works and just finished A Year in Paris.

Admittedly, I have an affinity for Paris. I loved visiting there a few years back. I enjoy studying French history. Baxter brings the city alive in new ways in this work. His overall theme is that France is a nation closely attuned to the differing seasons of the year. He discusses how this connection with the whims of nature impacts both French history and it's current day culture.

His stories of both the past and present are full of whimsy and never cease to entertain. Baxter is the kind of guy you want to hang out with at a cafe or dinner party simply because the conversation would never be dull. He is erudite, witty and engaging. I encourage you, dear non-existent readers of mine, to check him out.