Sunday, April 30, 2023

A Pound of Paper

 I recently finished John Baxter's charming memoir A Pound of Paper: Confessions of a Book Addict. My wife says I'm a book addict so it seemed right up my alley. I had just finished Baxter's A Year in Paris and greatly enjoyed it so I almost immediately ordered this memoir since I had an Amazon gift card laying around begging to be used. 

This book is actually more about Baxter's lifelong pursuit as a rare book collector. He has some funny and engaging stories as he recounts digging through old bookstores and shops for works worth collecting. He does talk about his life a bit which is indeed interesting. He came from from the backwoods of Australia, spent time in London, Virginia, Los Angeles before finally settling in Paris. He has some wild experiences in all his various stops.

If you like collection books then this work might be for you. Baxter writes in a breezy and engaging way so it's a fun read.