Thursday, January 31, 2019

step up


Only in America can someone be pro-gun, pro-war, pro-death penalty and be considered pro-life.

I heard that in a speech from Shane Claiborne.

Being pro-life is more than just protecting fetuses.

On Facebook last week I saw a lot of pro-life posts. None of them mentioned adoption or foster care. None of them mentioned help for women who find themselves in a difficult spot.

So I posted a nice little Facebook post...

"If you are looking for ways to live out an ethic of protecting life in the DFW area I encourage you to consider volunteering your time or resources to this great agency that helps place foster kids in homes. They also facilitate adoptions as well. DM me if you have any questions. Check out their website if interested. They do an amazing work. I'm sure your local area has similar agencies desperate for donations, volunteers etc."

Then I put a link to the website of a great foster and adoption placement agency. One that my wife and I work with.

You know how many "likes" I got for that post? Ten.

Ten measly likes.

You know how many DM's I got? None.

Know how many encouraging comments I got in support? None. 

If I had made a post about the evils of abortion I would have received three times as many "likes." I would have gotten all kinds of comments in support. Guaranteed.

But once again, my point has been made. Most pro-lifers I know aren't interested in complicated solutions. Most are willing to wail and complain about "abortion is murder," yet do nothing. They think voting for "pro-life" candidates is enough. They think posting on social media is enough.

They'll support a cause as long as it's easy. Fostering isn't easy. Adoption isn't easy. Loving the lost can be challenging. Not all are called to open up their homes to difficult situations or to provide respite care for foster children. I know first hand how stressful the CPS bureaucracy and foster licensing process can be. 

But at least give some cash to the cause...and not to some DC lobbying group that already gets millions from wealthy donors. Give cash to a foster placement agency. Better yet, donate toys for Christmas toy drives. Donate food for foster kid parties. Donate clothing. Even better, donate your time to help.

I mean, if being pro-life is that important to you, that it is the major factor in your voting decisions...then step it up and help provide alternatives to abortion. I know of several agencies right now in desperate need for even minimal support.

My guess is that for most it's only important in the abstract. It's easy to have a bogey man to rage against. But when face to face with a troubled child or a troubled young woman in need...it's a lot easier to be silent.