Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The Old Stuff

Number 6 is mad

I haven't been watching a lot of first run TV lately. There's just not been much on that has caught my attention and kept it. A lot of what's on seems derivative. I don't get cable or sat so I don't get to watch some of the shows a lot of my friends rave about. I do have Netflix and Amazon Prime. So I've found myself watching some old classics instead of the new stuff. Here's what I've been watching the past few months...

The Prisoner on Amazon Prime. This show ran for one season (1967-68) in Britain. It was designed for just seventeen episodes. It is brilliantly weird. I first heard about it when watching LOST years ago. The LOST producers credited The Prisoner with being a major influence on them. The show is very philosophical and abstract and I'm not sure how they ever got it produced for mass television. I'm only on episode 11 of 17. I find it a fascinating watch. My 12 year old son watches with me and surprisingly likes it as well. The show trusted that the audience did not need every little thing explained to them. 

Peter Gunn on Amazon Prime. Another old show (1958-1960), most famous for its classic theme song. I had played this song numerous times both in jazz band and marching band in high school and college. But I had never seen the show. I love the show! I'm a big fan of film noir and each episode seems like a little film noir movie. The jazz music is great. Lots of style. Great escapism.

The Avengers (1961-1969) on syndication. Another weird Brit show. I particularly like the seasons with Diana Riggs. British shows in the 1960's seem so flamboyantly strange and that makes them great. They didn't care about the detachment from reality of their plots. That surreality is a major draw for me. 

The Saint (1962-1969) on Amazon Prime. Roger Moore learning how to become James Bond. Great little self-contained dramatic stories in each episode. Lots of style and quirky British sensibilities. More escapist television that helps me through the current presidential madness.

My son and I also try to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine (on Netflix) when we have the time...which is rare. My wife and I like watching The Office on Netflix on the weekends when the kids have gone to bed. I also like to watch House (on Amazon Prime) and CHIPs (also on Prime) when time permits. I guess the theme is escapism. I guess that's what I need right now!

So, until a new show catches my attention, I'm just going to watch the old stuff for awhile.