Thursday, March 02, 2017

Tribes Again


I mentioned this album a couple of days ago but I mention it again because it's blowing my mind. 

Wynton Marsalis Live at the House of Tribes. Blue Note Records. Recorded 2002, released 2004.


This is my favorite album by Marsalis and that's saying a lot for me. This is what jazz is supposed to sound like. This was an underground performance by one of the most establishment of players. Fifty people crowded into a community theater in the East Village, New York City. The crowd literally is right there in the music. There are times when Wynton is in the middle of the people. Man, I wish I coulda been there. I've seen Wynton Marsalis twice and both shows were transcendent. 

Here at the House of Tribes show there are shouts and calls and responses almost like a church service. Jazz is not meant for cold concert halls where everyone is silent and polite. Jazz is a two way street between the performer and audience and you can hear the energy. I always played better with an active audience...not like Wynton Marsalis...but better than my normal self. Sometimes I'd wonder where that solo phrase came from and wished I could get it back. 

Not only can you listen to this album you can watch the show. This is an amazing watch and listen and if you like jazz I would to salve my soul from the confusions of existence.