Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Yellowstone


Today is Yellowstone National Park's 145th birthday. The area which became Yellowstone National Park was first protected on this day by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1872.

I didn't know that two days ago when we finalized our booking for Yellowstone. We are going this summer. We've never been. I hear it's amazing, like walking on another planet. I also know it's basically a super volcano that hasn't erupted in millions of years. If and when it does go off again, it will be catastrophic. Hopefully it won't blow this year.

We are also going to Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Monument on the way up. Our son really wanted to see Rushmore. I saw it back in 8th grade and it was indeed spectacular. I hear now that you can get even closer, like right up to the sculpture itself.

It's going to be a long drive but I'm sure well worth it.