Thursday, January 30, 2014

How I Find Time to Read...


I was asked an excellent question the other day: How do you find time to read with your busy schedule?

In the late nineties I noticed I wasn't reading as much as I used to. I was still reading magazines and blogs, etc...  But I wasn't reading books as much. I had always been a voracious reader so I realized I had to get back on track. Looking back on those days and reading some of my journals I came upon some ideas that helped me get back into reading.

1.) Be intentional about reading. There are so many distractions in the world you have to make the conscious decision to read books. Reading won't just happen. You have to make it happen.

2.) Challenge yourself with concrete goals. In 1999, I made a goal to read one book a month. That helped me stay motivated in finishing books. I actually read fifteen books that year. I set those concrete numerical goals each year for several years until the habit was built back up. Now I don't have numerical goals because reading has become second nature.

3.) Read subjects that interest you. Once you've got back into the habit of reading you may move on to other subjects. But jumping back into the reading habit can be tough. So find subjects that you find interesting. Don't worry about delving deep into philosophy or the classics. Those will come later. Read something short. Short chapters also help keep me moving along.

4.) Write a list of books that you would like to read. Ask for them for Christmas or birthday gifts. If you have a list, you're more likely to keep reading. If you don't know what to read, ask your friends. Each year the New York Times prints a list of notable books of the year. Return to authors you've enjoyed in the past. Find out who they read. HERE'S a list of books I've read the past several years.

5.) If a book is turning into a slog, don't be afraid to give it up for awhile and read something more accessible. You can always come back to it.

6.) Make reading a habit. I don't watch a lot TV although Netflix has become a real temptation with it's streaming service (I've been binging on Portlandia) . Make an appointment with yourself to read. It doesn't have to be a long chunk of time. Start with five to ten minutes and go from there. Work with the time that works best. Sometimes that changes each day. Sometimes I read at lunch. Sometimes I read right before bed. Sometimes I read in the waiting room. Read whenever it works. To do that...

7.) Always have a book with you. I always have either a book, Kindle, or iPad with me in my bag. If you have it with you you're more likely to read it. I read when I'm getting the oil changed. I read when I'm waiting in the car.

8.) Put the phone down. I got a smart phone just last April. The iPhone is a real temptation. I have to force myself to put it down. Some days I set goals like: I'm only going to check the phone in the morning and in the evening, etc...  Just say no to the phone once in awhile.

9.) Use a format that works for you. I have a Kindle, which I love because I can order books instantaneously. I can carry hundreds of books on a single device. But I also read real books as well. Don't get locked into one thing. Just read what works for you.

10.) I alternate between genres. I'll read a tough book followed by something less serious. I'll follow Camus with Elmore Leonard. I'll read something spiritual then follow up with historical fiction. Just go with the flow.