Thursday, April 18, 2013

West


Yesterday evening around 8 pm I heard thunder. I remarked to my wife that I thought the thunderstorms weren't supposed to roll through until much later. We were expecting them around 3 am.

It wasn't thunder that we heard. It was a horrifying explosion in the tiny community of West, Texas. The pictures on the news leave me speechless. The loss of brave firefighters and first responders. The destruction of nearby neighborhoods and schools. Speechless.

I, like many Dallasites, have stopped in West many times on our way to Austin. The town is famous for the Czech Stop and amazing kolaches. It's a lovely little community.

My heart breaks for those who have lost loved ones. The destruction is staggering.

Been a very strange week. The DA murderers have been captured. A teacher friend of mine was running his second Boston Marathon along with his wife on Monday. They had passed the finish line two hours before the explosion and had actually made it Logan Airport when the bombs exploded. I was relieved when I got word they were okay. The loss of innocents in Boston is so incredibly tragic.

Tough and surreal week. God bless West, Boston and Kaufman.