Saturday, April 27, 2013

Red Storm Rising



I feel good about the Kansas City Chiefs. I think Andy Reid is a great coach. I think they've got a great GM in Dorsey. Despite their awful year last year I think the Chiefs are poised for a quick turnaround. I'm a homer and I may be naive, but I believe last year was an anomaly. They had a terrible season yet still sent five guys to the ProBowl. Five Guys! The talent is there. Romeo Crennel is a good guy and a great defensive coach but he's in over his head as a head coach.

Now they've got a proven coach. They've traded for a very good quarterback. Even with a rough start to his career Alex Smith has been great the past few years. KC has an elite running back in Jamaal Charles. They have an elite WR in Bowe. They have a very good defense and their line is developing. I think the Chiefs will make a remarkable turnaround and contend for the West Division Title. They just have to get past Peyton Manning.

But still. This draft was depressing. Maybe it will turn out great. But you know it's a weak draft when the top two picks are offensive tackles. I'm just glad the Chiefs passed on the aggie. Eric Fisher looks like a monster on the line. He looks like the best guy in this draft. But to think that if Kansas City had picked first last year they would have had their choice of Andrew Luck or RGIII. It's depressing to think about.

Even more depressing was the ESPN 30 for 30 special that reminded everyone about the QB class of 1983. Oh, you know the one, the one where Kansas City picked QB Todd Blackledge seventh while Dan Marino went 27th. TWENTY-SEVENTH!

Well the future looks bright nonetheless in Kansas City. Hopefully Alex Smith will be decent. Hopefully he'll shake off the ghosts of Len Dawson. Since I've been a Chiefs fan the best QB Kansas City has had was Joe Montana...and he was only around for two years. After him, I'm not so sure. DeBerg? Grbac? Trent Green? Bono? Bill Kenney? Chiefs fans deserve some silver linings!