Saturday, January 16, 2010

Have fun with Jesus!

Many of you know that my Grandfather White passed away last December. After much discussion we decided to take our three year old son to the funeral. Kimberly would keep him in the back of the sanctuary while I sat up front. We also wouldn't let him go up to the casket. We thought he was too young for that.

We did tell Jackson that his Great Grandpa White had gone to live with Jesus up in Heaven. That was about as far as we were willing to discuss it with him at this time in his life.


We also took him to the graveside service although Kimberly and Jackson stayed in the back of the crowd while I was closer to the front. As expected he got a bit squirmy and Kim began walking him back to the car so he wouldn't be a disturbance to others during the short grave site ceremony.

As they were walking off, my three year old son turns back and yells "GOODBYE GREAT GRANDPA...HAVE FUN WITH JESUS!"

I don't think most heard what he said. At first I cringed...but then thought no...that's a perfect sentiment for a believer in Christ. I couldn't have said it better myself.