Friday, September 01, 2006

Original Weezer Fans





I have convinced my students that I was one of the original fans of Weezer. There is some truth to that...I did buy their first album back in 1994 on the recommendation of my friend Michael Jordan (the trombonist from Alva, Oklahoma...not the Chicago Bull) three months before their first single (The Sweater Song) became a big hit. By the way, my wife still isn't taking my suggestion to name our baby boy Rivers after Weezer's lead singer Rivers Cuomo.

Anyway, in the liner notes on a couple of their albums they thank someone named David White. In fact, in the liner notes for the Green Album they thank both a Kimberly White and a David White. I don't think they're talking about me otherwise I would have scored better tickets than what I ended up with last October at their concert in Dallas.

So here is a picture of the liner notes thanking me and Kimberly. Hmmm...maybe they are thanking us after all. I mean, c'mon...how many David Whites are there in the world? That's not that common of a name. Rivers White...now that would be a cool name...even my Mother-in-law thinks so. Rivers Cuomo just graduated from Harvard. How cool would it be to named after a leader singer from a rockin' band who's also a Harvard grad!