Monday, July 24, 2006

World Cup Wrap-up

I was out of town during the final of the World Cup and have been off the computer much of the time since I've returned from vacation. But I could not resist finishing up some final thoughts on this year's Copa Mundial.

I was very happy to see France lose to Italy. I do think the Italians dive more than anyone save for the Portuguese. But I would have hated to see Le Bleus win the whole shabang. I was astounded by Zidane's now infamous headbutt. I've always respected Zizou but there is nothing that should cause you to lose your cool in such dramatic fashion...especially in the most watched sporting event of all time.

Zidane has played for the biggest teams (Juventus and Real Madrid) and on the biggest stages (winning the '98 Cup). He's a veteren pro. What he did was inexcusable especially if he was only responding to some trash talk about his sister. Trash talking goes on in every sport in every level from playground to the hallowed ground of Yankee Stadium. As France's best penalty taker he possibly cost them the game.

The biggest disappointments for me were the United States which should have beat Ghana and fared better against the Czechs. Brazil also was overconfident and arrogant. England should have played their game and not given way to Portugal in such a passive way.

But I am glad Italia won it. They should have won back in '94 on PK's against Brazil. Hopefully this makes up for it a bit.