Thursday, February 23, 2006

My Moleskine

I really got into journaling in college. My first choice of journal was a beat up old spiral. I moved from format to format for years until my wife discovered the Moleskine at a Restoration Hardware store in uptown Dallas. I was originally attracted to the Moleskine because it looked a lot like the journal used by Indiana Jones to record archaelogical information...you know, like the key to finding the lost Ark of the Covenant...those mundane everyday kind of notes. She bought my first one as a Christmas stocking stuffer about four years ago and I haven't been without one since.

They come in a couple of sizes and a variety of styles. I now prefer the 3x5 sketch book. All Moleskines (pronounced Mo-la-skeen-a) are covered in black leather, have a small pocket inside the back cover and are affixed with a black elastic band to keep the book closed when not in use. Mine comes with 80 blank pages that I use for both writing and the occassional sketch. They are made by an Italian stationer who claims that Van Gogh, Ernest Hemingway and Bruce Chatwin all used their Moleskines.

I was surprised recently to discover that they have become a cult item and have entire blogs dedicated to them. I take that annoying pride of being someone who jumped on the bandwagon before it was fashionable (i.e. being one of the "first" Weezer fans in 1994). There was even an article in the Washington Post last week about the Moleskine phenomenon. There are some people who are trading in their precious PDA's for the little journals.

I always have one with me. I list, sketch, journal, write poems, write short stories, outline, prep notes, etc etc and etc... It helps me connect with my surroundings and become more observant of the little meta-physicalities of life. And I like looking back on past adventures. They can be found at Borders, Barnes and Noble, Restoration Hardware, online, and many other strange locales. Thanks to my wife for first purchasing one for me over four years ago.