Friday, February 17, 2006

Ahhh...The Aroma of Nationalism, Part One

Do you have the fever? Olympic fever? I know I'm down with it. The first eleven years of my life I lived without a television. My parents finally broke down and bought a little 10 inch black and white job so we could watch the 1984 Winter Games in Sarajevo. I actually prefer the Winter version as opposed to the hot sweaty summer games. I love to ski and enjoy living vicariously through the madness of the downhill skiier.

Don't you just love the smell of nationalism in the morning? The Olympics are the petri dish for this old and in my opinion archaic system of political organization.

Most people today are almost born with the pre-supposition that nationalism is part of the natural order of things. They don't even question it. But is nationalism good for our health? I think history has made the emphatic case that nationalism is an abysmal failure and an on-going anathema to the idea of global harmony.

The case against nationalism is massive. Nationalism has caused war, division, genocide and discrimination. Of course in response to nationalism what do we do? We create newer nations all in the name of ethnic security.

Nationalism is a rather recent phenomenon...only emerging in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries as a reaction to the even more cruel system of empires ruled by absolute monarchs. Nationalism hasn't always been with us and now it is high time to re-evaluate its usefulness.

To even question the idea of the nation state is to tread dangerous ground. You are in danger of being labeled a traitor or even worse...un-patriotic. We are brainwashed at an early age to love and adore our nation. Texas state law requires us to recite the Pledge of Allegiance everday in our public schools. How democratic of them to force people to say the pledge! We sing the national anthem before every sporting event. Any contrarian thoughts on such things are considered treacherous.

I mean I like my country and all. I feel fortunate to have been born an "American." I greatly enjoy the privileges associated with my great luck of being been born in the right place at the right time. However, as a Christian, I owe my loyalty to God first and foremost. I grow weary of any criticism people receive for criticisizing the policies of our government. That is nationalism's greatest weapon...making people feel uncomfortable when they question the ruling authority.

Nationalistic fervor has become as natural as breathing. When you watch the Olympic games whom do you root for? Naturally you pull for the good old U.S.A. You have more in common with the American competitor...so get off that couch and urge on the Yankee!

But what if you have more in common with the guy from Norway than the guy from Rhode Island? What if the guy from Norway has the same religious, political and moral beliefs as you? What if they even like the same books, music, and movies as you? Let's say the guy from Rhode Island has beliefs that are completely anti-thetical to yours. Worse yet, let's say he's an arrogant, intolerant, racist lout. Would you still root for him over the Norwegian?

After all, that's what nations were originally created for...to organize people into groups of similar religious, cultural, linguistic and political persuations in the name of mutual security and economic interest. Often the motivations were legitimate. Mutual security and economic considerations are worthy desires. Unfortunately nationalism often spirals into the abyss of selfish ambition and superiority complexes.

I can tell I am boring you. I will write more on this in my next post. Until then, don't worry...I'm a proud American. I am not declaring revolution. I will be rooting for Bode Miller to win that elusive gold. He's only got three chances left. God Bless America!