Friday, April 05, 2024

Live on Radio

I have to admit I didn't re-up my MLB Radio Subscription last year. My subscription from the previous season ended at the end of April of 2023 and the Royals were so pathetic I decided not to fork over the money for another season of broadcasts. I'd still keep up with them online but wouldn't pay for such futility. I did make it to a couple of games, one in KC and one in Arlington. But last season was horrible.

Now it's 2024. Although the ownership still ticks me off with their desire to demolish Kauffman Stadium and build downtown (I'm glad the vote failed!) I did like seeing them invest some money in free agency and extending Bobby Witt, Jr. It was a refreshing change for the Kansas City Royals.

So Opening Day, I re-upped for the audio broadcasts. And I'm glad I did even though who knows how this season will turn out. Listening to Denny Matthews, now in his 56th year broadcasting Royals games, is comforting. Reminds me of my childhood. I don't often get to listen to entire games, but just 4 or 5 innings is a nice respite from the world.

And so far, the Royals starting pitching is looking pretty good! If we can get the bullpen going they might make some noise in the AL Central this year. That's all I want this year...some noise. Give the division a run. Make things interesting.