Friday, February 10, 2023

Stalled

 

Well, I have to admit I've kind of stalled out on the Wynton Marsalis Discography project. The reason is that it seems Marsalis hasn't recorded a small group album in quite awhile. I could be wrong but it looks like it has been over a decade, maybe longer, since he's put out an album with the Septet, Quintet or any other of his small ensembles. All his recent releases have been with The Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra or larger groups.

Don't get me wrong, JLCO is an amazing group of musicians and they can really swing. But it's just not my cup of tea. I'm also not as keen on the composed works. I prefer the traditional small group improvisation. Too me, JLCO is almost a different entity from Wynton Marsalis. I know that logic is probably ridiculous. 

Either way, I may be done plowing through the rest of his releases for awhile. I still consider my project a success because it did introduce me to a lot of his albums that I have missed. And it was good to revisit some of my favorite jazz albums. It was a most excellent way to start out the year musically. Marsalis is and will always be one of my favorite jazz musicians.

Now I have to find someone else's catalog to dive into.