Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Night of Legends

I happened to stumble on a video highlight package of the one and only FC Barcelona match I got to see in person while I lived in Barcelona in 1996-1997. The game took place at Camp Nou, one day before my birthday in 1997. It was a quarterfinal match in the Copa del Rey and normally would not have gained as much attention as it did.

But it was a legendary game. Camp Nou was packed. I had never seen anything like that atmosphere despite attending Chiefs games in Arrowhead and OU games at Owen Field. Atletico Madrid took a 3-0 lead. It looked like the match was done. But then Barca stormed back in a stunning comeback to end up winning 5-4. This despite a four goal night from Atletico's Pantic. Ronaldo (the Brazilian) scored a hat trick with Figo and Pizzi adding goals...Pizzi with the game winner. 

A lot of great players were on the pitch that night. Ronaldo, Pantic, Luis Figo, Luis Enrique, Pep Guardiola and more. That was the night I became hooked on soccer. I consider myself lucky to have seen such a match in such an atmosphere.