Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Quarantine Reading Material


 Inspired by an old friend who asked the following question...

“I'd love to learn more about what you're reading during quarantine and why?”

I’ve been reading two pages a day (all I can handle in a single sitting of this book) of Ulysses by James Joyce for several months now. I’m on the 19th and final episode. Should be done by the end of May. I still don’t understand much of what I read of it. Have to use online resources to make head or tails of it. But I will be very happy to finally conquer this literary white whale! I will consider it a literary equivalent of making the pilgrimage to Jerusalem or Mecca! 

Re-reading The Plague by Albert Camus. Always a good read. I have been amazed at the parallels to today’s crisis. On Part Four now. Society’s denials of the reality of their plague rings frighteningly close to our denialists today. Quiet heroism of individuals doing their jobs in difficult situations reminds me of our health care workers, grocery store clerks, first responders, etc today.

On the Kindle, I’m reading Left Bank: Art, Passion, and the Rebirth of Paris, 1940-1950 by Agnes Poirier. A great history of the lives of artists, philosophers, writers and other creatives during the dark days of the Nazi occupation of France. How they managed to keep culture alive in the underground is fascinating. I’m only on Chapter Three but fully engrossed! I applaud and encourage those amateur and professional artists sharing their creative endeavors online during this quarantine. Staying creative helps maintain our sanity.