Thursday, February 20, 2020

Things Old and New


One of the many things I really admired about my Grandfather was his refusal to be left behind the times. He was not scared of change and was always curious about how new technology worked. This was a guy who grew up on a farm in central Kansas during the Dust Bowl days of the Great Depression. His family used an outhouse. But he was always curious about how things worked. He got a degree in Industrial Physics from Kansas State University and became an engineer for McDonnell-Douglas.


But even after retirment he didn't quit learning. In his 70's, he enrolled in an Intro to Computers course at a local Juco so he could remain ahead of the curve when it came to understanding the newest technological innovations. VCRs, vinyl records, eight-tracks, cassettes, Compact Discs, DVD players, Mp3 players, the internet, email and wifi did not intimidate him as they did for so many of his generation. He learned how to use excel even though he had been retired for years. He used it for his financial planning. He did not fit the old stereotype that you can't teach old dogs new tricks.



But he also took great care of the things he had purchased. When my Grandmother told me to look to see if there was anything of his that I wanted after he passed, I found some old super 8 cameras and a movie projector. I also found an amazing analog non-electric typewriter. He probably hadn't used that typewriter in years. But it was clean and safely kept in its case. He took care of stuff even if he had moved on to newer things.



Recently I've taken a liking to old tech. I have an old overhead projector in my classroom that I use as a decorative piece. I have an old fireside chat type radio. I've got a few old super 8 cameras. I have an old stereo receiver and turntable. I like these things even if I don't use them much. I wish I still had my old Walkman! These things are heavy duty, built to last. I guess they came before the planned obsolescence way of doing things.



I really like the look of this typewriter in my classroom. It reminds me of my Grandfather. It also reminds me of a time when products were impressively engineered and were often works of art themselves. My wife makes me keep these things in my classroom. Not sure what I'll do with these things when I retire. But for now, I'll enjoy looking at them and how they remind me of the past.