Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Barometers


I have to admit I thought about closing down this blog after my Grandfather passed away last week. He was one of my most loyal readers. In fact, I'm not even sure anyone else even reads this thing. To be honest, most blogs are vanity projects and The Internet Lounge is no different. After he passed I thought, what's the point of continuing since my only reader is gone? But I started this blog really for myself. It keeps me writing. I also find it cathartic. So, even if no one is actually reading this, I may keep it going. A voice crying in the wilderness.

So anyway, my Grandmother asked me if there were some things of my Grandfather's that I might want. So I came home with a few items. These items are not worth a whole lot financially. But they hold a lot of sentimental value for me.

One of these items was a German made ATCO barometer. This hung in my grandparent's kitchen for as long as I can remember, at least forty years. It hung in an indention in the wall above their phone. I don't even know the story behind it. I'm not sure where or when they got it. I just know that it fascinated me as a kid. I would check it regularly whenever we visited Grandpa and Grandma. To me it represents a continuity that's lasted my entire life. My entire life it hung on that wall showing the barometric pressure of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I'm not sure how accurate it is. That doesn't really matter. But it would be super cool if it actually does work. I calibrated it yesterday and so far it seems to be pretty close to the barometer reading on my Weather App on my phone. I plan on keeping an eye on it for awhile to see if it truly works. Either way, I really like this piece. It reminds me of great memories in that kitchen in that house on Oswego in Tulsa with wonderful people.