Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Unbelievable


Well, it finally happened. The Kansas City Chiefs will be playing in the Super Bowl. This will be the first time in my life that they finally broke through and made it to the Championship Game. KC had only made it to the AFC Championship three times during my lifetime. So, Chiefs fans are not used to this. Fifty years since the last time they appeared in the big game.

So many years of playoff disappointment. Leading the Colts 38-10 in the third quarter and still losing that game. Having a successful two-point conversion against the Steelers only to be called back for a bogus holding call which cost KC the game. Being up 21-0 to the Titans two years ago and losing 22-21. Finally getting home field advantage in '95 only to lose 10-7 to the Colts with KC's kicker missing three field goals. Losing to the Colts in the No Punt Game of 2003. And the worst of all...last year, leading the Patriots by 7. Dee Ford lines up six inches offsides which negates an interception of a Tom Brady pass which would have ended the game and sent last year's Chiefs to the Super Bowl.

And those are just the playoff disappointments.

There were many years of awful football in between. And some great regular season success. But even Joe Montana could not break through as the QB of the Chiefs.

But now, exhale, the Chiefs are in. And I've been nervous and skeptical all year. But now I'm all in. I'm laying it all out there. I started rooting for the Chiefs when I was five-years old when I moved to Kansas City. I went to my first game in Arrowhead in 1985 with my Dad. He and I sat through many a disappointment in front of the TV. Man, I wish my Dad was here to see this. He remembered Len Dawson and Super Bowl IV. But that was before I was born.

So I'm going to enjoy this. This is why staying loyal to one team is so rewarding. Those bandwagon fans can enjoy swapping teams year to year. But the joy runs deeper when you've rooted for a team through the ups and downs and they make it to the pinnacle. It's all gravy for me now. I want them to win badly. But I'm also just glad to be here as a fan!