Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Creative Imaginings


Last night, my son went on a junior high band trip to the Meyerson Symphony Hall in downtown Dallas. They went to hear the Dallas Wind Symphony.

When I picked him up around 10:30 pm back at the high school he was visibly excited. He didn't stop talking about the concert experience the entire way home.

It warmed my heart to see his enthusiasm for music played extraordinarily well in an extraordinary venue.

Seeing great art performed by great artists can transport us to a different world. Witnessing creative genius can temporarily take us out of our sometimes dreary landscape and show us horizons of vibrant intensity. We grow and become different people when we see such creative imaginings.

I was happy to see that last night his world enlarged a bit. We've taken our son to the opera, concerts, art galleries, etc. But last night reminded me how important these experiences are to the development of our son and my daughter and that we must pursue them on a regular basis.