Monday, November 26, 2018

Instant Family

My wife and I recently saw the movie Instant Family. I highly recommend it. Instant Family, based on the experiences of the movie's director, follows a couple as they become foster parents to three siblings. The movie is a comedy but also is very poignant. It was one of the most realistic depictions of foster care that I've seen in a wide-release movie.

The movie especially resonated with us since we are on a similar track as the film's protagonists. My wife and I are also on a foster-to-adopt path. For several months we have been fostering a child that we are on track to adopt, hopefully in the early spring depending on the speed of the court system.

Fostering is not easy. It can be very challenging. But it is one of the most rewarding things we have ever done. People always comment that we are changing the life of this child, but the reality is she is changing our lives as well. She is a light in this world and our family somehow feels even more complete with her in it.

I greatly encourage everyone to see Instant Family. Such a great film.