Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Back


I seem to start a lot of posts with the following sentence...

"I haven't blogged in awhile..."

And sometimes I wonder why I actually continue to post. I know my audience is very small. I probably blog for narcissistic reasons. I do find it cathartic, occasionally.

I am starting 2018 in a good place. Literally. I finally moved to my new permanent classroom. After two years, construction is done at my fine academic institution. It was very traumatic to move from my old home of 16 years to a temporary purgatory on the first floor of a new building right by an outside door that was constantly slamming with hundreds of people passing by every period. The room was sterile and clean with no personality and since I knew I was only there for two semesters I did little to add character to it.

But in late December the great move happened. And two weeks ago my classes began meeting in my new home space. And it's quite a space. It's upstairs and in a corner hall which no one visits unless they actually have a class there. I have four large windows that overlook the universe of Texas. It's a much quieter space. And now I have been able to add art and world maps to the walls. It's looking like home.



I have discovered I have greater motivation and work more efficiently when I enjoy my workspace. I'm getting a lot more done and feel a lot better about my place in the world. This could be my room for the next ten years. This gives me peace. Of course, I'm well aware of how worlds can be turned upside down in a moment. But I'm enjoying the room while I can.