Monday, May 08, 2017

Charlie's


Back in college, in Oklahoma City, my buddies and I who dug jazz, used to hang out at an old record shop called Charlie's Rhythm and Blues. Charlie carried almost exclusively records and tapes, which by the mid-1990's were surpassed by CDs. So records stores were becoming more and more of a rarity.

We would go to Charlie's and hang out and talk jazz. Charlie had great stories about some of the giants of jazz and their visits to OKC. It was amazing to me that a place like Charlie's could stay in business, a real record store that focused on jazz, blues and R&B.

Last February, Charlie passed away at the age of 71 and many thought that would be the end of Charlie's Records. But I came across this article today in the Daily Oklahoman. Apparently Charlie's grandson is keeping the place open and carrying on his legacy.

It's nice to know some places are still around. I haven't been to Charlies in twenty years. May have to make a stop the next time I'm in Oklahoma City. I'm glad there's places keeping it real. I got good memories of that place.

HERE'S the article or direct your browser -> http://newsok.com/grandson-of-late-oklahoma-city-jazz-and-blues-record-store-owner-keeps-family-legacy-open/article/5548292