Thursday, March 13, 2008

Birthday? What Birthday?

So yesterday I was a bit blue as I felt the relentless march of mortality as my birthday (today) drew nigh.

I had to make a late night stop at Wal*Mart and I ran into one of my former students working in the electronics department. He updated me on his life and told me he had just gotten married, was graduating from A&M Commerce in May and was about to begin student teaching. He is majoring in World History and is going to be a History teacher. He said that I was the prime inspiration for him getting into teaching and that everyone told him you had to coach to be a history teacher in Texas. He said, "I always told them that wasn't true since I had a World History teacher in Kaufman who didn't coach. He just taught and that's what I'm going to do."

Wow. You don't hear that kind of feedback very often. I was a bit happier after that. Then tonight, we stopped at a restaurant for dinner and ran into another former student with her parents. She's on spring break and told me she was finishing her junior year and is also going to be a high school teacher. Again...wow.

So I am blue no more.