Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Weezer and The Beach Boys

Yes, I'm still blogging. Life has gotten hectic recently. Sorry for the delay between blogs.

Many of you know that Weezer is one of my favorite bands. If I had my druthers I would name my soon-to-be-here son Rivers after Weezer's lead singer. My wife vetoed that idea very early on. Some parents play Mozart for their infant children to stimulate brain development. My Dad played The Beach Boys. Now I always knew there were some inherit similarities between The Beach Boys and Weezer. Weezer has been called the "Beach Boys of today" or "The Beach Boys on mescaline" by many critics. Weezer has even covered a couple of Beach Boys tunes. So knowing that I was indoctrinated with Brian Wilson melodies since I was in the womb I now wonder if that had anything to do with my love of the music of Weezer.

Now there is a website that details the similarities...some coincidental, some intentional...between Weezer and The Beach Boys. Some similarities are a stretch...others are very apparent...all are interesting. You can find the site here...http://mattbrundage.com/music/weezerbeachboys.html