Friday, December 22, 2006

A Dynamite Christmas

I received the DVD of Napoleon Dynamite as an early Christmas gift over Thanksgiving. With Christmas Break starting Wednesday I was finally able to find time to pop it in and watch this great movie. A lot of people are entertained by this movie because it seems so bizarrely weird. But I enjoy it because it is so true to life in high school. I think a lot of people forget the oddballs and socially challenged people they went to school with. If you were one of those oddballs then that's another reason you might find it great. I see Napoleon Dynamites every day walking down the halls of Kaufman High School. I like this movie because although it is strangely goofy it ends on a heartwarming note. And it is an uncannily accurate depiction of the weirdness of high school.

Ironically enough during Homecoming Week at KHS we had a 'dress as your favorite movie character day.' There were a lot of Napoleons and Debs that day. What was ironic was the fact that most of the people who dressed up as Napoleon or Deb were from the elite crowd...people who pick on and mock the real Napoleons on a daily basis. The elites are so self-absorbed they can't even see themselves as the jocks, Summers and Tricias of the movie...people to despise for their snobbery, egotism and bullying. I fight for the Napoleons. I fight for the Pedros and Debs. That's one of the reason I teach.

Well, we'll be pretty busy the next two or three days and I may not have a chance to log back on before Christmas. So have a Merry Christmas and see you around the next snowman.