Thursday, August 17, 2006

House, M.D.

I don't really have time for television. In fact, I will probably have no time for television whatsoever after December 29th. But this summer I unintentionally picked up another show...Fox's House M.D.. The show has a predictable formula...a patient has some bizarro malady that is killing them and Dr. House and his staff have little time to figure out how to save the patients life. However, how the show executes this formula never ceases to surprise. Dr. House expresses the truth in a bluntness that is inappropriate in conventional social settings...something I wish I could do every day in the classroom without fear of a law suit. Each episode continues to show how amazingly intricate the human body actually is. One of House's favorite aphorisms is "everything is connected." Unconventional show in a conventional television universe.