Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Burning Flag Man

It was reported yesterday that a 7th grade teacher in Kentucky was reassigned to a non-instructional position in his school district for setting fire to two American flags and then having his class write essays either supporting his right to do so or condemning his action. This teacher is not new to the profession. He has been teaching since 1979.

Although I believe setting fire to the flags in front of his class may have been unwise in regards to maintaining his employment status, I believe there is philosophically nothing wrong in his actions. It is becoming more and more difficult to inspire students to express their opinions in writing. There was nothing obscene about his actions. There was nothing racially, religiously, or ethically inappropriate in his attempt to stir his students to think and write critically. Shocking students can go too far...but this is not one of those instances.

Perhaps he should have shown a videotape of a flag being burned or something of that nature. Although the shock factor would not be nearly as effective with a videotape. Perhaps he should have gained prior approval from his principal. I don't know.

Regardless; as a Christian I believe this whole worship of our flag and our nation has gone too far. I appreciate the United States of America. I appreciate the sacrifice of our veterans. But they were not fighting for a piece of fabric or even an idea. No one in their right mind fights for an idea no matter how poetic that sounds. When the bullets are flying and the bombs are exploding...people fight for things more tangible.

Tom Brokaw's "greatest generation" was fighting for their families and their friends and, according to many interviews with veterans, most of all for their buddies in the trenches with them. I appreciate their drive to protect with their lives that which was most important to them. I don't agree, however, that by refusing to "love" America without question and at any cost that I am treading disrespectfully on their legacy.

I pledge alligiance to Christ. Period. Patriotism often morphs into Nationalism which then evolves into racist xenophobia. Our eyes should be on Heaven. Period. Jesus Christ comes first and foremost. I can respect and have strong feelings for my nation...but if I "love" America then I risk placing that love above my fellow believers simply because they live in another nation.

I do not judge those who have decided otherwise. But I will judge them when they force me to follow their ideologies against my better judgement.

Again I say, never in the New Testament do you see the followers of Christ defending their rights or their nation. Actually, the early Jewish followers of Christ went against the will of their nation by disobeying the commands of the Sanhedrin. And you definately do not find the early Christians pledging alligiance to Rome but to Christ alone.

Now don't misunderstand me...I love the freedoms America gives me...maybe too much. Sometimes I think the materialistic luxuries America provides serve as a stumbling block in my path toward Christ. But I am not going to fall in love with an abstraction. I will love my wife, my son, my family, my friends and most of all my God.

And I will love those who see things differently. And I will not judge someone who burns a piece of fabric in order to help young America begin to think critically and not simply join the brainwashed masses of the mob.

Christ is the savior of all the world...not just America.