Wednesday, May 24, 2023

American Graffiti Redux

It had probably been 30 years since I had last seen American Graffiti. After seeing it mentioned in yet another story about George Lucas I decided to give it a revisit. It is indeed an enchanting movie. 

Last time I saw it I was in high school and I think I was not in the right place to enjoy it. I remember thinking it was okay...nothing special. There were a couple of things that hindered my appreciation. One, I couldn't get past seeing Ron Howard and Cindy Williams and the Drive-in as a precursor to Happy Days. Happy Days was definitely inspired by American Graffiti but they should be viewed as separate entities. Also, I wasn't at the right age to appreciate nostalgia. 

I also saw how Dazed and Confused was inspired by this movie. They are very similar in their vibe. 

Like Dazed and Confused, this is a good movie to watch at the end of the school year. Our school year ends tomorrow. Even though Graffiti takes place at the end of summer, it still has that feel of an endless summer night before reality soon hits. 

The framing of the soundtrack is fantastic. The acting performances are great. I really like Richard Dreyfus in this movie. The Wolfman Jack scene is poignant. The cars. I really enjoyed watching this in my middle age. 

It's another reminder that many of the problems teens face today have been with us for generations. Yes, social media and gender issues etc are fairly new and modern concerns. But overall, teens have been teens with the same problems every decade. 

Now I got to go watch Dazed and Confused again.